Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Spring!

After taking almost 2 weeks off of running, I decided that I should start training again for our Boston 1/2 marathon. While I am regretting a little bit having another 1/2 marathon in a few months, I was reminded today why I am doing this again.

Today I met my teammates for a lovely 60 minute run along the canal in DC. The weather could have not been any better. The practice was led by the other mentors Julio and Mayra. Julio was diagnosed with Crohn’s in 1999 and has had an up and down experience dealing with the disease. In total, he have lost close to 30 inches of his intestines, withered in weight to less than 125 pounds (he is 6’2”) and was so anemic that he was literally a walking heart attack. Last year Julio and Mayra participated in the Team Challenge program and I am happy they are mentors with me as they are an inspiration. Last year alone they raised $11,000 to help find a cure.

I recently read Julio's blog and this is what he wrote for why he is doing this again, "I do it as I reminder I am in control of my life not this disease; I do it to be an example for my wife and my son to never let challenges prevent you from pursuing your dreams; I do it for others afflicted with Crohn’s, Colitis or any other debilitating disease who struggle with their illness and need a ray of hope that they too can lead a full life in spite of their situation; but most importantly, I do it for the glory of God because in the end that is all that matters."

I find this statement so powerful because that is why I am doing this again. Even though 8am is very early to be running on a Saturday, in the end it is worth it if one day there can be a cure for these diseases.

No comments: