Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Silent Auction Items

This week has been a flurry of activity getting everything set up for the silent auction...now I know why the people at Dogfish thought I was crazy when I told them I was doing it all on my own! Anyway, I am pleased to announce that we have a few more auction items, including: Autographed Ovechkin and Fehr player card from the Capitals, a contemporary rug and a pet basket. Quite an assortment, but that means there is something for everyone so please come on out and bid or just enjoy dinner and drinks!

This morning I was only able to participate in half the practice because my tonsillitis is acting up again, but still got in 4.5 miles. I then had the pleasure of throwing the football around with Nicholas who is now seven and at age three was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. As his mom, Theresa puts it, "Despite all that he endures - a daily regimen of medications, regular hospital visits, many missed days of school, and frequent pain and discomfort - Nicholas is a happy, fun loving, well adjusted, sports enthusiast! We are constantly awed by his strength and perseverance!" Nicholas has basically only known life with this disease and I know that it frustrates him because he feels alone because he doesn't know kids in school that have this disease. A portion of the funds that I am raising will go to Camp Oasis that lets children like Nicholas spend a week with other kids that have been diagnosed. This allows the children to see that they are not alone and build friendships with people that understand them. I know how much being part of CCFA for me has been as an adult so I can only imagine how important it is for a child.

No comments: