Monday, March 1, 2010

Finding a Cure - Round 2

I had one of my friends from my Miami 1/2 marathon race ask me this weekend if I was going to blog about my second round of fundraising and training as a mentor. My initial reaction was no because I have already told my story. However, over the last few days I realized that other people's stories need to be told, as well as, why I would like people to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation.

Today one of my bosses asked if I raise money because I felt passionate about it or obligated. My first thought was, well I tell everyone in my donation letters that this is my passion, is this really how I feel? My answer to her was, I have a passion for this cause out of obligation. If I did not have Crohn's Disease, I highly doubt I would be participating in my third Team Challenge program in over a year and a half. Because I do have the disease I do feel some obligation to raise funds. However, I do have the option of just raising money for strictly the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. That being said, it is in CCFA's Team Challenge program that I really find my passion. My passion is inspiring and pushing participants to meet both their fund raising and training goals.

I want to inspire people to set a physical goal. I want participants to see me run because I can run. Through this program I realize that people my age have died from complications caused by Crohns; or are currently in the hospital because they are flaring; or simply can't even walk up a flight of stairs because they don't have the energy. I was one of those people at one point, and might some day be back in that position. I think about that often on days I don't want to run, because that is what I use to force myself to get out and run. I have been given this gift and I am going to take full advantage of it and want the other participants to do so as well.

I want others to feel passionate about this cause. You are not going to get very far with fund raising if you don't believe in the cause. Last Thursday I was the keynote speaker at the Team Challenge Kick-Off party. Usually I can talk about anything, but for some reason it was really hard to talk about how Crohn's has affected my life. But I pushed myself to speak because I wanted people to realize that even though I seem "normal", I will never again have a normal life until there is a cure. Everyone deserves to feel normal and healthy, no one should have to feel the way I felt when I was told I have an incurable disease. That is why I am fighting back against IBD and will continue to raise funds to find a cure. I just hope that the participants got that same message and will feel the same way I feel.

Over the next few months I plan to share my experiences with this new group of Team Challenge participants as I mentor them. I will also continue to post on my running and my large event I have planned for April 20th. I hope that you all will continue to follow my progress and will attend my event.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I like how it's no longer just personal for you and your willingness to share your journey to help others help others. lol

I appreciate your honesty when explaining the difference of obligation and passion for you. It seems that Team Challenge, might be more than just running to raise money. What is it really with "Team" aspect of the challenge? Do you gain a sense of comradeship with others?

Brendan O'Connor said...

Lisa, this is really cool to hear, thanks for writing it...i think i understood this on some levels, but seeing you mention the weight of being told you have an incurable disease must have been, well, more than i can imagine...

I really appreciate the courage and unwillingness to accept the status quo, that's awesome...!

Best with it, and i hope to hear of more ways to help through the FB page and to come out for some of the April 20th event (awesome work on all the silent auction items by the way, just was seeing that, very cool).

PS - Be cool if you wanted to post a link to this or your FB group on CVN's page (oh, and maybe even if you wanted to do a version of this post on our soon-to-be launched blog...will have to follow-up on that...)